Students at the Wolstanton High School in Staffordshire, U.K. suffered signs of toxicity after inadvertently trying out a nicotine spray prescribed to a 12-year-old female student. According to a news report, the prescription nicotine spray was passed around students from Years Seven and Eight, causing 20 of them to experience nausea, vomiting, and headache. One of the students was rushed to the hospital due to severe sickness.
High school principal Alan Aston said that the unfortunate incident was a one-time slip. “The spray was shared with other pupils and they became nauseous. We have dealt with the pupil involved using our own sanctions,” Aston said. As soon as the situation was discovered, school teachers immediately informed the parents of affected pupils.”We already have procedures in place to protect pupils but unfortunately this was a prank that went wrong,” the school principal added.
The student who distributed the Nicorette spray to her fellow pupils was prescribed the medication through the National Health Service (NHS) program called Time To Quit. Program service manager Ian Saberton said the school did not violate any procedures to help kids quit smoking. “All pupils who request support receive an appointment after which they are required to do some preparation for a quit attempt, medication is only recommended at the following appointment… All protocols for stop smoking support had been followed in this case,” Saberton said.
School officials have already disciplined the erring student.