People will go to great lengths to beat a drug test if they have been abusing a substance. From paying exorbitant prices for useless body cleanses to purchasing prosthetic penises and synthetic urine, the range of items to cheat on a drug test are as varied as they are entertaining to read about.
Pat Pizzo, head of toxicology at Alera Toxicology, recently gave a webinar on the various drug cheating methods and what testers need to be on the lookout for and what they need to do to counteract cheating.
Some highlights from the webinar include:
- The majority of “cleansing” teas and other products are useless because these products are either just diuretics or only work if the person drinks a lot of the liquid, which would be the same as drinking a lot of plain water.
- People who drink excessive amounts of liquids will also take B Vitamins to turn their clear urine back to yellow.
- Testing for creatinine levels and specific gravity will detect diluted samples, even if the color is yellow.
- Most — but not all — items that people add to urine to cheat a drug test are easily detectable.
- Most devices that people wear to hold clean urine to avoid giving their own will have some way of heating that urine to body temperature like heating pads, hand warmers or a plastic wedge to be clenched between the buttocks.
- Bleaching the hair strips melanin from the hair and thus strips traces of drugs from the hair, too.
- Shampoos alone will not strip drug traces from the hair.
- People can purchase special mouthwashes and gum for beating an oral fluid test, but it is not clear if these items work.
To see the full coverage of the webinar, click here.