Chlorine Gas Leak in Arkansas Plant Prompts Evacuation of Workers
A number of workers from the Tyson Foods Plant in Springdale, Arkansas, were brought to hospitals after a chemical accident occurred in the company’s chicken processing facility.
NWAOnline reported that 173 Tyson workers were sent to five hospitals, by ambulance and Ozark Regional Transit buses, on Monday morning. The Tyson plant on Berry Street had experienced a chlorine leak, which led to an evacuation of its workers. The employees were overcome with chlorine gas fumes; chlorine in its gaseous form, according to Northwest Medical Center – Springdale primary care physician Dr. Tammy Tucker, may be very dangerous, even in small doses.
The gas gets into the system through the eyes and lungs, according to Dr. Tucker, and it may result in the burning of lung capillaries and mucous membranes as it acts as an acid when inside the body.
The workers from Tyson were decontaminated at Northwest Medical Center – Springdale. Workers removed their clothes at the entrance of the hospital’s emergency room, and changed into hospital gowns. Hospital officials revealed that there were hazmat materials available, but no one was washed down.
The report revealed that twelve employees needed to be admitted, while an estimated 130 workers were retained for observation and treatment for exposure as of Monday evening. The most serious injuries involved three workers, who needed to be admitted into intensive care. Two of the workers were admitted in Northwest Medical Center – Springdale, while one was admitted in the hospital’s Bentonville facility.
Tyson plant manager Brent Holman shared that the plant had around 1,200 employees, 600 of whom were working the first shift that day; all were accounted for.Tags: chlorine contamination, chlorine gas, chlorine leak