The California-based manufacturer of Monster energy drinks announced in a press conference on March 4 that, according to physicians the company hired, its product has not been found responsible for the death of a 14-year-old girl who died of a heart attack in December 2011.
Monster Beverage Corporation was sued by the parents of Anais Fournier, who apparently died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity following consumption of two 24-ounce Monster cans.
During Monday’s press conference, the company said the doctors it hired to review Fournier’s autopsy report and medical records did not find any evidence that the girl’s death had anything to do with drinking their product, much less the caffeine in the beverages. The company maintained that their products are safe and that there was “no medical, scientific or factual evidence to support the Maryland Medical Examiner’s report of ‘caffeine toxicity’.”
Dr. Michael Forman, a California emergency room physician and one of the doctors hired by Monster, said there was no blood test performed on Fournier to prove caffeine toxicity. He added that the girl has pre-existing conditions and she might have suffered cardiac arrest that day, regardless of what she drank.
On Tuesday, the Commitee on Health and Environmental Protection discussed Alderman Ed Burke’s proposal to ban high-caffeinated energy drinks in Chicago. The hearing lasted for almost three hours, but the meeting was adjourned before a decision was made. Another meeting is expected to take place soon to hear the rest of the testimony.Tags: caffeine in energy drinks, energy drinks, energy drinks controversy, energy drinks dangers, energy drinks health risks, high-caffeinated energy drinks