A Medical Examiner’s report has linked bath salts to the death of a 17-year-old boy, who was found unconscious in an Orange County home in February.
Orange-Osceola Chief Medical Examiner Jan Garavaglia Â told WOGX-FOX 51 that she found traces of a hallucinogenic drug, which can be classified as a bath salt, on the $10 bill that Krystopher Sansone used for snorting drugs before passing out.
Sansone and four other teens were reportedly found unconscious in a home on Vista Del Lago Boulevard on Feb. 10. All of the teens were brought to a nearby hospital for treatment but Sansone was later pronounced dead, while three of the young adults were eventually released.
Garavaglia said the synthetic drug that the group had ingested “can cause psychosis, seizures and clearly death.” She also noted that several other people have died from bath salts in Orange County, and most of them are teenagers.
A spokeswoman for the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said no one will be charged with Sansone’s death, but the agency is continuing its investigation on the incident.
Sansone’s mother earlier issued a statement, telling kids to stay away from synthetic drugs. “This was a good kid, from a good family, who made a bad choice that night,” Lucy Sansone said.
Like synthetic marijuana, bath salts are often sold in convenience stores and gasoline stations. The drug contains one or more synthetic chemicals related to cathinone that are known to produce a wide range of side effects, including euphoria, paranoia, agitation, increased sociability, and violent behavior. They are sometimes marketed as “plant food,” “jewelry cleaner,” or “phone screen cleaner” in a variety of names, such as “Bloom,” “Cloud Nine,” “Lunar Wave,” “Vanilla Sky,” “White Lightning,” and “Scarface.”