January 18, 2013 at 1:43 am Comments (0)
Alistair Overeem will officially face Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva on Feb. 2 at UFC 156 after he received his fight license from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).
Prior to the issuance of his fight license last week, Overeem submitted five drug tests of his own accord during the course of his nine-month suspension, according to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer. The commission also subjected the former heavyweight champion to a random drug test on Nov. 16 and Dec. 21, 2012. All test results came back negative, the Yahoo! News reports.
“I’m ready to get my life back on track,” Overeem told the commission.
Overeem was suspended for nine months after his drug test in 2012 showed a positive result for elevated levels of testosterone. His application for a fight license was denied in April, and had to wait until December to re-apply. On Jan. 8, 2013, his fight license was approved via unanimous decision.
“Today I went for my license.” Overeem told MMAjunkie. For me, it’s now back to work, back to entering the gym. I’m already basically in shape, so it’s just a couple more weeks of grinding it, and then it’s going to be showtime again.”
April 5, 2012 at 4:15 am Comments (0)
Dutch mixed martial artist and kickboxer Alistair Cees Overeem, contender for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight title, failed a drug test conducted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
The former K-1 kickboxing and Strikeforce mixed martial arts champion tested positive for elevated testosterone levels at a surprise test.
Nevada commission Director Keith Kizer said that Overeem is expected to ask for what he described as a “B” sample test, since the first “A” sample was indicative of synthetic testosterone use; it had grossly elevated T/E ratios beyond 10/1.
According to Kizer, the “B” sample process could take two more weeks. If the “B” sample test confirms the results of the first test, Overeem will be unable to apply for a fighting license in Nevada, for a period of one year.
Earning his fighting license would have been determined by a mandatory appearance before the Nevada commission anytime soon. Unfavorable results of testing may jeopardize Overeem’s license, as well as the heavyweight title fight between him and current titleholder Junior Dos Santos, which has been scheduled for May 26 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. If Overeem is unable to get a license, the said fight will be cancelled.
Overeem debuted at the UFC in January, in a fight that knocked out former champion Brock Lesnar in the first round. Kizer revealed that Overeem was late in appearing for drug tests prior to his fight against Lesnar.
Following the news regarding Overeem’s test, former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir had released a statement asking to be considered to fight against Dos Santos for the heavyweight title.