The cause of the sudden death of Grammy-award winning singer Whitney Houston, who died on February 11 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on the eve of the Grammy Awards, has been revealed, after the release of toxicology results. A full autopsy report is expected to be released in two weeks.
Chicago Sun-Times shared that Ms. Houston died from drowning in the bathtub of the hotel where she was found, but coroner’s officials revealed further that heart disease and chronic use of cocaine contributed to her death.
Craig Harvey, Coroner’s Chief of Operations, revealed that based on toxicology results, cocaine and its by-products were found in Ms. Houston’s system. He shared further that the toxicology results were indicative of the fact that the Grammy-winning singer was a chronic cocaine user. The toxicology results also showed the following substances in her system: marijuana, Xanax, the muscle relaxant Flexeril, and the allergy medication Benadryl in her system.
The coroner’s office also revealed that Ms. Houston was suffering from heart disease, which caused blockages in her arteries.
Whitney Houston died a few hours before she was scheduled to perform at the pre-Grammy Awards bash of producer Clive Davis. She was found submerged in the bathtub of her room at the Beverly Hills Hotel; several bottles of prescription medication were found in her hotel room, but coroner’s officials said that the amounts that were discovered were not excessive.
Patricia Houston, sister-in-law and manager of the late singer, gave the following statement in the wake of the release of the autopsy findings that confirmed a link between drug use and Whitney Houston’s death: “We are saddened to learn of the toxicology results, although we are glad to now have closure.”