Kratom is a tree-like plant that is commonly found in Southeast Asia that belongs to the family of plants as coffee. It has also been used in Thailand and its neighboring Asian countries as an herbal remedy because of its opiate-like effect. It is also known to help as treatment for withdrawal symptoms associated with opiate addiction.
Kratom does not belong to the list of controlled substances and can be bought through the Internet and head shops. This substance comes in different forms such as loosed chopped, capsules and compressed tablets.
Researchers have found more than 20 biological active chemicals in the drug which can pose potential risk on drug dependency. It is now banned in some Asian countries despite its long history of use as herbal medicine due to its addictive potential.
Effects of Kratom
When taken in low doses, kratom effects may take place within 10 minutes and may last from 60-90 minutes. Most kratom users say that they feel a euphoric effect while others have reported to have experienced an uncomfortable feeling of anxiety. Its total effect is similar to amphetamine but with much less intensity. Symptoms include:
- Decreased appetite
- Increased libido
- Increased alertness
- Increased sociability
- Decreased inhibitions
At doses of between 5-15 mg, users may experience the following:
- Dream-like state
- Cough suppression
- Decreased in symptoms of opioid withdrawal
For those who take more than 15 mg, the user may experience extreme sedation and loss of consciousness.
Kratom Strains Based on Veins and Stems
Kratom can be categorized according to different strains, as well as the varieties of color of veins and stems. The differences of these strains provide varying effects. The strength of kratom may be identified based either on the location or its color strain.
Here are the kratom strains based on stem and vein color:
White and green strains
These strains induce energy and productivity. Leaves from white stem kratom produce more stimulating effects than the red vein variety. The green leaves varieties are believed to provide clearer thinking and endurance. This is the type of strain that most athletes prefer to use.
A number of studies showed that the green vein variety aids in treating anxiety and depression.
This kind induces calmness, sedation and relaxation, which is the opposite of the two other strains. After the initial rush of energy, the calming effect takes place. This variety is often used to provide pain relief and as a substitute for opiate detoxification. It is said to provide a euphoric feeling to users.
Kratom Strains Based on Location
Kratom strains based on location are as follows:
This is one of the most well-known forms of kratom. Maeng Da literally means “The Pimp”, and was named almost 20 years ago. It was believed that this strain was genetically modified to be able to provide its effects.
It is a popular choice among working men. It has forced growers to produce exceptionally potent and stimulating kratom to be able to provide for the demanding needs of laborers. Grafting became a popular technique in some Indonesian plantations, with the goal of producing the strongest kratom.
This type of kratom has white, green and red varieties, wherein the white and green are more popular. Maeng Da is popular with those two varieties because it provides powerful mind-boosting and energy boosting effects accompanied with analgesic effect.
This strain has mood-lifting effects. Unfortunately, individuals may develop tolerance easily because its effect builds up quickly.
A large part of kratom supply comes from this island, second to Maeng Da in popularity. It has four strains where the red and green strains are the most popular.
- Red Borneo: This strain has a sedating and soothing effect. It is a popular choice for pain management.
- White Borneo: This is fairly popular to alleviate feelings of lethargy, depression, and lack of focus.
- Green Borneo: This is the most popular of all Borneo strains because it helps enhance over-all mood to a euphoric level. It is known to remove aches and pains in chronic conditions.
- Blended Borneo: This is a combination of all three strains. The individual effects of each strain complement one another.
This is commonly confused with Borneo kratom, which is more popular. It has three kratom varieties, with the red and green being more popular.
It is one of the most potent and cheapest strains of kratom, which makes it widespread. Some Borneo strains are shipped from the southern or western Borneo and are labeled as Bali as it would refer to the shipping hub of the strain.
- Red Vein: This is the most popular of all Bali strains because of its effects, including analgesia, relaxation and anxiety relief, which is very similar with the Borneo strain.
- Green Vein: Its effect is similar to the red vein variety but with less potency. This is good for those who want pain relief without wanting to have such high level of sedation.
- White Vein: It is the least popular because of its low potency.
The White Indo Kratom is the most popular among the three strains of Indo Kratom. This type of kratom can be found in Indonesia and some parts of Bali and Borneo.
There are different strains that grow in various regions with varying effects.
- Super Indo: It is a very unique strain because it seems to retain the pain killing and relaxing effects of a red vein, as well as providing some very mild energetic effects.
- Red Vein Indo: It has a very powerful analgesic, sedating and mood-lifting properties.
- White Vein Indo: It is known for its “clean” analgesic effect, which helps in dealing with mentally strenuous tasks easier.
Malaysian strains are not as popular as the Indonesian strain because it is illegal in the country. The Super Green Malay strain is very popular for its bright green appearance as well as for proving energetic and mind-boosting effects.
- Super Green Malaysian: It has a variety of effects and well-balanced properties such as anxiety relief, mood-lifting property, focus, pain relief, and energy boost.
- Red Vein Malaysian: This strain provides more pain relief and sedating properties than the Super Green Malaysian variety.
- White Vein Malaysian: It has the most stimulating and energetic effect among all Malaysian strains.
This is the less popular strain of Kratom because it is illegal in Thailand. Most of the Thai-labeled kratom comes from Indonesia. Banning of kratom has nothing to do with its use but rather as a competition to opium business in the 1940s.
- Red Vein Thai: This is most popular strain among all Thai strains because of its analgesic effect.
- White and Green Vein Thai: These are helpful in treating depression.
This type of strain is less well-known among all strains. It is often a difficult strain to characterize by effects due to the differences in vein type effects. Among its uses are pain relief, insomnia treatment, anti-stress and mood-lifting properties.
- Red Vein Sumatra: This variety has anti-stress properties, pain relief, insomnia relief, relaxation and a more sedating effect than the white variety.
- White Vein Sumatra: A smaller dose of this variety will provide a stimulating and energetic effect. At large doses, it provides relaxation and pain-killing effect.
It is a province located in Borneo. The difference of this strain from the Borneo kratom is not well-known.
- Red Vein Kalimantan: This can provide a calming effect that can last for a few hours even with just a low dosage. It is one of the well-known strains that provide a very relaxing effect.
- Green Vein Kalimantan: It is becoming a widely accepted recreational sedative, and analgesic by users in the U.S. It aids in muscle relaxation and provides energy-boosting properties.
- White Vein Kalimantan: This is the least well-known of all Kalimantan varieties.
This type of kratom is processed in a different way and because of this, it provides a different kind of flavor and an increased in alkaloid percentage. This is a very rare strain of all varieties but is slowly gaining popularity in the market.
It is also known as the “Tropical Blend” for its calming and relaxing characteristics. It is also helping in improving sleep. Its length of efficacy is much longer compared to other strains.
[NOTE: This article is meant for informational purposes, and not a promotion of kratom or its various strains and forms.]